Dear Mrs. Madeleine Korbel Albright,
Taiwan Strait Exchange Foundation has been rendered useless by its mainland counterpart
--- the Association for Relations Across the Taiwan Strait.
Right after Saturday's fatal traffic accident that killed six Taiwan tourists in
mainland China's remote Gansu province, the SEF has communicated with ARATS about sending
a SEF official to the scene to help the victim's families take care of the aftermath. But
ARATS demurred. "A precedent has been set" in handling such matters" said
ARATS vice chairman Tang Shu-bei, referring to mainland China's previous refusal of a
similar SEF request in the Lin Ti-chuan murder case last month. Tang said ARATS has
already sent its own men to the site to handle the matter.
The ARATS latest snub of the SEF will undoubtedly deepen the mutual distrust and at the
same time cripple one of the most important functions of SEF, which was set up six years
ago to handle cross-strait relations in the absence of formal ties. The ungraceful act of
ARATS has dealt another blow to the relationship between Taiwan and the mainland.
To say the truth; Beijing make deal with Taipei, not only "international
isolation" but also "official isolation".
It is a strike to downsize Taiwan government's authority. The China Times Express
revealed yesterday (August 24, 1998). According to the paper, the "four should
nots" which were revealed by Xinhua agency quoting sources from organs of the
mainland central government that deal with Taiwan were as follows:
1. Social systems in Taiwan should not refuse the concept of reunification.
2. The development of Taiwan's military should not be encouraged.
3. Taiwan should not fight for international space or attempt to enter
4. Taiwan should not impede the opening of the "three links"---
trade, transport, and communications with China.
Contrary to mainland requires:
1. Democratic systems in mainland should be accepted.
2. The development of mainland's military should not be encouraged.
3. Mainland should support Taiwan enter international organizations and let
more international space.
4. Mainland's "three links" --- trade, transport, and
communication with Taiwan need more time to talks with equal position.
The idea of "one China" - the People's Republic of China, of which Taiwan is
only a part, could not be reached for comment.
So; Taiwan need your help.